Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thank YOU for the support

So, as I've been tooling along on this little "Thank You" journey, I have hit some lulls.  We already know that I've found this to be more difficult than it sounds - thanking someone every day can sometimes be tricky.  For instance, sometimes I see people face-to-face and they have done something "thank-worthy" (is that a word?  It is now.), but it often feels inappropriate & downright weird to go into a heartfelt thank you.  Imagine the next time you do something nice for someone & they start to pour their heart out to you.  Awk-ward.  I think it's unfortunately because that's not common practice in our society.  We often say the words, but rarely go beyond them.  Since it's not something that occurs everyday, most people don't know how to respond, which in turn can make things uncomfortable. 

Earlier in my process, I decided I needed to "be brave" and do more face-to-face thank-you-ing.  Well, maybe just because I've turned chicken & am making excuses, but I've found a way around the face-to-face thing.  It's revolutionary people - you're going to want to write this down -

A hand-written thank you note. 

O.K., not so revolutionary, but I think there is something to be said for the written word.  Also, it elimiantes that whole awkward bit AND it allows the recipient to hang on to said thank you note to read and recieve warm fuzzies in the future. 

So, if you are inspired by this project at all, here is a tip:  set aside some time each week and write out a thank you or two.  I promise only good things can come of it.

And as the title of this entry suggests, thank you to everyone who has given me encouragement along the way.  It seems whenever I hit a big lull, or lose my motivation, someone is there to encourage me - so THANK YOU!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment